Saturday, September 29, 2012

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Dance Saved My Life  
 
 
 
 
 
 
Since I was little my educational journey has been very challenging. Struggling with a form of dislexia I have been set back in many ways. Over the years I have learned how to overcome obstacles that were in my way. Although I still have dislexia, it has helped me be a stronger and better person.

My disability has made school very difficult for me and it takes me longer to get the hang of things than it would a person without a disability. I always knew that i was different and sometimes felt like an outcast. feeling like an outcast helped me turn to dancing. when I dance it's like I become a new person, I feel free and I know it's something I'm good at. When I dance, I can connect with people in different ways i never thought was possible.

  Dancing has helped me not only to express myself but has helped me with my educational studies. Before I started dancing my grades were on the low side and I hated going to school. With dance in my life my grades went up to a 3.5 G.P.A and I couldn't wait to school started. In a way, dance has saved my life and has turned my life in a different direction from the music I listen to, to the people I hangout with. Dancing has played a big part in my life and has made my educational journey a great experience.





Everyone has struggles through out there life and you should always remember to keep your head held high no matter what happens.




 

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you have dance as your way to express yourself! I like what you said:
    "Everyone has struggles through out there life and you should always remember to keep your head held high no matter what happens."

    So true!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I liked how you expressed your passion for dancing and it really shows how helpful it has been in your life and in school. Although school is important, it doesn't allow you to express your self creatively like dancing could, but being passionate about something can improve your outlook on a lot of different things and help you achieve greatness and success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to slightly disagree with Roger, only slightly! School, if used wisely, can allow us to express our selves, to discover our "self", and to make sense of identity. Perhaps in lower division and basic skills courses it's hard to see that potential. I think school can be an adjunct, a complementary activity that helps each of us not only discover our passion but also express it. I certainly didn't feel that in my math classes or some sciences course, but luckly, I found classes that helped me explore aspects of my identity and self. Our classes will feel richer if we can figure out a way to link what we do in classes with our own passions . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. yeah.. i'm actually going to have to agree with what you just said mr. aronson

      Delete
  4. I've also realized that no matter what life faces you, stay positive and strong because anything for the better can happen. I would've never known that you have a disability, I'm glad you shared this. It really inspires me that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete