Sunday, September 30, 2012

Do For You and Not For Others

Thandie Newton, a well known actress, once said
"Embracing Otherness,Embracing Myself."

One of the main points was to stay true to yourself and embrace what you were born with.

Don't try to change who you are to try to fit in. We are all different in our own little ways,but that doesn't mean we can go around judging others.

As a child Newton had a hard time embracing herself  She felt that she didn't belong. Her dad was white and her mom was black and she was the only black girl in her school.

Everything was different about her, from her skin color, to her hair, but that doesn't mean she should get treated any different than anyone else, but Newton did.

As a result of getting treated differently she to turned to dance to express her emotions. 

As a dancer myself, I would say this is the best thing that could ever happen to Newton and for me too. 
                                                                                   
Dancing is something most people do for fun, but they never realize what it does for you emotionally.

Dancing is like living in a whole different world.

For me dancing is something I was born to do.

I don't have to do it.

I need to do it.....

Without dancing I don't what I would be doing with my life now.

Although I turn to dance to express my feelings, other people might not.

Find something that you enjoy doing and lets you let go of all of your emotional expression for example playing basketball, football, tennis or even painting. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Rayah,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I love to dance. I agree with you when you said "life more fun doing what you want to do rather than what others think you should do". This is very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you when you say that dancing is expressed emotionally. I dance hip hop. Mainly people do hip hop because they want to know how to dance or dance at the club but for me, I realized a couple years ago that when I dance, all my stress goes away and it brings me to a better mood and a better environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know how to dance, don't know how to...if I knew how to express myself. I would. I agree with you too about doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the exact same way with dancing. It just something that's in me like another part of my soul. I don't have to think of what moves I should do, or a routine, it just comes out naturally like it was born to follow the beat of the music once it starts playing. Sometimes when I dance it would depend on my mood. I do a series of Polynesian dance and on most cases I do Tahitian when I'm worked up, stress, or angry. As when I'm in a calm, joyful environment, I would do hula. Dancing is beautiful, its like art with no paint or a canvas needed. I'm still unsure if I've saw you perform with iAM at one of the events at Sweetwater High whether it was Culture Night or
    Talent Show, but I really want to see you perform one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way too, but with figure skating. Ever since I learned how to be graceful on ice, I became at ease with my emotions. However I feel, I show it depending on how much power and speed I put into the sessions. Even though I might not skate to choreography since I don't have a routine, whatever music they have playing I try skating too. For me, it's the best way to use up any energy within and present it in any way I want, whether it's jumping, spinning, or footwork. Figure skating is a huge aspect of my life, and I'm glad I found a way to express my emotions.
    I would really like to see you dance one day since it's a huge part of your life :)

    ReplyDelete